I don’t know about you, but sometimes I get really bored with my lunch options. I tend to bring leftovers to work the next day, since I can easily prep the night before as I am cleaning up from dinner. But lately I’ve been looking to mix things up and bring some fresh flavor to my workday.
I began by thinking about the nutrients I need to focus on in my diet right now: calcium, protein and fiber. What could I make ahead for lunch that is super easy and can help me focus on these nutrients? Going back to an old favorite I realized that egg salad was a perfect way to incorporate everything I need – and it could be ready in no time!
What makes this egg salad recipe different is that it replaces some of the mayonnaise with yogurt, which adds calcium, protein and great flavor. I added diced sweet red bell pepper to add a little crunch, a handful of spinach, and chopped dill. Serving this sandwich on toasty whole grain bread makes it filled with fiber and hearty flavor – I always think that great bread is what makes a great sandwich! You can easily change the spice of the egg salad by adding a touch of Dijon mustard or curry powder.
This recipe was adapted from Siggi’s recipe for egg salad. In my opinion, skyr style yogurt (which is technically a strained skim-milk cheese) is less sour and creamier than Greek yogurt typically is. That is why I love it for this egg salad. My husband Chris (who is my in-house recipe taste tester, lucky him) said that it the yogurt gives the egg salad a less greasy taste than if using mayonnaise alone. If you only have Greek yogurt you can use that as well – just make sure you are using plain yogurt and not vanilla!
Let me know if you’ve tried this recipe in the comments below!
Creamy Egg Salad Sandwich
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 Tablespoon fresh dill
1/4 red pepper
3 Tablespoons plain Skyr or Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup baby spinach
4 slices of whole grain bread
- Place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan and cover completely with cold water.
- Heat over high heat and bring to a full boil. Then turn off the heat and let sit for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop dill and chop red pepper to small dice.
- Drain the water and run cold water over the eggs to cool them quickly (this stops the eggs from continuing to cook.
- Peel the eggs and place in a medium bowl. Roughly chop with a sturdy fork.
- Add yogurt, mayo, salt, pepper, chopped dill and diced pepper to the eggs. Mix well to combine.
- Layer spinach leaves on a slice of bread and spread egg salad on top. Cover with another slice of bread and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 370, Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 370mg, Sodium 453mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Total Sugars 7g, includes 2g Added Sugars), Protein 22g.