If you are celebrating memorial day this weekend and want to bring a low-FODMAP dish to the party, give this French-inspired recipe a whirl. It is healthy, way easy, and doesn’t cost a lot to prepare. I like to use a waxy potato like Red Bliss, New Potatoes or Fingerlings for potato salads, since they have a creamier texture and are a little less starchy than the common Idaho or Russet. If you want to experiment with different flavors you can easily switch out the herbs, or add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. You can enjoy this recipe slightly warm or at room temperature, which I prefer, as it brings out the flavors of the herbs and dressing. This makes an excellent side dish, or you can enjoy it as a main salad with fresh lettuce or arugula. Bon appetit and Happy Memorial Day!
Potato, Bean, and Egg Salad
Total Time: 40 minutes
2 pounds of potatoes
1 pound green beans
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon capers
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and cook until the potatoes are firm but easily pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking trim the ends of the beans.
- Place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat and cover. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes for a firm yolk. Drain and cool in a bath of ice water. Peel and quarter each egg. Set aside.
- Place the beans in the pot with the potatoes for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking the potatoes. Drain and set aside. If potatoes are large, you can roughly chop to desired size.
- While the potatoes, beans and eggs are cooling, make the vinaigrette: combine the capers, mustard, vinegar, and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and sprinkle with parsley, chives and salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 240, Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 110mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Total Sugars 3g, includes 0g Added Sugars), Protein 7g.